THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Searching #78: Video

Using both Truveo and Blinkx I searched for a video concerning the video game "Alien vs. Predator" that is to be released on February 22, 2010.

At first, when using Truveo, I could not help but note the simplicity with which the website seems to resolve around. It may look simple, but this is what makes it seem more user friendly. As soon as I started typing on the search box, its autocomplete feature looked provided me with a choice of words or phrases that may be what I was originally looking for. The results I obtained were displayed as thumbnails, and on the left hand side of the results was a breakdown giving me the option to narrow my search to specific channels, tv shows, or categories. This search provided me with 5,195 results. Most of the results have to deal with the upcoming game, and one or two of the first videos had nothing to do with the desired search.

Upon using Blinkx, the first thing to notice is how crowded it looks when compared to Truveo. You are greeted by a wall with miniature videos under different categories such as: news, entertainment, business, sport, and more. The search box does not have the autocomplete feature, and once the results show up, they are also in the form of thumbnails. The main difference is that here the same phrase provided "about 62,000" videos. The website also starts to display a preview of each video without having to actually click on it. Below the preview box is an empty area where you can drag the clips you want to watch, making the desired videos appear as your own personal list.

Visiting HCPL’s YouTube channel and looking around, if I were to work in a branch I would make a youtube video talking about our different programs and also presenting th e staff to the general public. Let the audience know that we are accessible to them and also willing to work for the public. It creates good PR. (Is it just me or does this not seem similar to a previous post concerning youtube?)

Image credit: http://ezlink.net/video.html

0 comments: